It’s Spring time and that means that many homes are coming on the market each and every day. While you may be hard-pressed to get everything done you’d like to before you have a showing, there are a few things you should really make time for before you head out the door and a prospective buyer walks in.
- Make the entryway welcoming. Sweep off your front steps. Maybe fill a planter with fresh flowers? Remove any shoes or jackets that may clutter the way.
- Remove personal items. Sure, the kids’ school work and photos are adorable for you, but sadly, they can make it difficult for a prospective home owner to think of it as their own. Please don’t throw them away, just put them away so they don’t take away from your home’s appeal.
- Clean, clean, clean! While it may seem obvious, it’s those little areas you may forget. Toothpaste on the sink, crumbs on the table, dishes in the drying rack, and even the trash. Clean them up and empty it! Also, be sure to put away all those little things that belong to Fido and Tiger. Any signs of a pet could discourage a potential owner.
- Fresh towels in the bathroom. It may be the last thing on your mind, but believe it or not, if you can make your bathroom “feel” like a day at the spa, that’s a sure win with those coming in to check out your home.
- Smells of home. While you may love the new fresh lilac scented candle you bought at the store. Shut it down and err on the side of some of the smells that remind you of home. Candles and air fresheners can make it seem like you’re hiding something. Maybe it is homemade chocolate chip cookies, bread, coffee or maybe even apple pie — whatever those smells are that make you feel warm and cozy, share it on that day.
So, what’s the bottom line? Don’t stress about it. You can’t please everyone, but you can do is some of these little things that will help others feel like your home could be there’s! Why not make it seem like their Home Sweet Home?